Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Morning Musings

(Written at about 6:30am, UK time!)

Back in England. Back home.

Except, of course, it's not home - it's just another stop on the way, albeit one with lots of friends, and lots of memories.

After spending a lovely week at my mother's house in France, I arrived back on British soil last Thursday, and was picked up promptly (!!) by my father at Luton airport. In a Suzuki Swift.. one of the most fuel efficient vehicles in the country. 993cc 3 cylinder engine, no power steering, no assisted braking - wow.

So I spent a couple of days with dad, potting up pansies, learning a little about engines, hunting for bargain plants for him to sell at country shows and steam rallies.

From there, on to a friend who is to a large degree living the (my) dream - he grows most of his fruit and veg, forages for a good amount of the rest, has solar hot water, and so on and so forth. He is also an incredibly good host, and didn't even let me do any washing up! How lazy I feel when I go to visit.

Then a slight change of pace. I went for a "spin" with another friend - in a light aircraft. Up over the green and golden fields of Norfolk to the Wash and King's Lynn, above the wind farms and towns, the ribbons of roads and rivers. Pretty cool - if rather less fuel efficient than the Suzuki Swift.

I have about one more week in the UK before I finally depart for Ireland, in which time I'll be visiting family, going to a wedding, trying to sort out some part time work, seeing friends... It does make me wish the people I knew lived a bit closer together!

No comments:

Post a Comment