Wednesday, August 26, 2009

All at sea

I'm crazy. I'm looking for a simple, low energy lifestyle. And what have I done today? Driven across England and Wales to get to the ferry, stressing about the car breaking down, whether or not I'd make it in time. What have I done this week? Driven all over the South East and Midlands of England. What did I do the week before that? Fly from France to the UK. And the week before that? Why, I flew from New Zealand to France!

Aaaargh.

I just want to stop! Well, thankfully, I'm almost there - almost at the bed I'll be sleeping in for most of the next two years.

There isn't really a deck on this ferry, which is a real shame, as I love looking at the sea - just a couple of balconies for smokers to be outside. It's actually rather like an airport waiting lounge, inside - there are people laid out on the seats getting some sleep next to me, a bar, a shop. All sorts of wastefulness here - everything comes in a disposable something.

But I can't talk. My intake today has comprised two packaged sandwiches, a bottle of cola, and a bottle of blackcurrant juice. At least the packaging is recyclable. Tomorrow, a new start.

Today, here I sit, in a huge tub of metal, being propelled across the sea by fossil fuels. Watching someone dressed in a monkey suit, here to entertain the children passengers.

What an odd world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment