Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Better Day

Today is much better than yesterday was. I got a text message after I'd gone to sleep last night, offering me somewhere to stay til I got myself sorted, by another guy called Mick starting the course in September. It's a few miles from Kinsale but has an amazing view of the bay! And a dog, turtles, fish.. and internet :)

So this morning I went in to Cork to sort out the PPSN, which was easy, then met up with Mick this afternoon. And here I am, I've looked very quickly at one place about 5 miles from Kinsale, and have leads on a few more. I have a little room to sleep in, I can use the washing machine, so it's all good!

Now I'm just trying to find a few more people who also want to find a house to share.

I'm ok - which of course then gives me room to think about everything else. I was chatting to another woman staying at the B&B this morning, who had worked in Rwanda for a few years, and she was reconfirming all that I'd heard about Western aid agencies in third world countries - how much of the money ends up paying Western salaries and so on, rather than actually helping the people who need it.

Interestingly she said that Indian poverty struck her as worse than African, where I'd been assuming that while things are bad in India, Bangladesh and Nepal, things were much worse in Africa. In terms of crowdedness at least I suppose India is much worse.

There is a great charity I read about yesterday, called simply charity: water, who are doing great things to bring clean drinking water to the 1 billion people that don't currently have it.

And this is a wonderful cause. But there's plenty of non-human stuff happening that is irreversible - BBC: Axolotl verges on wild extinction is pretty sad, for example.

But of course it's so hard to break out of the box, and be entirely sustainable. We're all trying, though.. right?

No comments:

Post a Comment