Friday, March 19, 2010

Home?

I spent most of Wednesday travelling: From Karlskrona to Copenhagen on the train, then Copenhagen to London on a plane (my own hypocracy astounds me... 1/3 the price of a coach ticket, and 1.5 hours flying instead of nearly 2 days on the bus notwithstanding), and finally up to my dad's place, nearish to Boston.

My dad is one of a kind, in some ways. His current interest is in Fuchsias - he has, he thinks, 676 or so different varieties in his huge greenhouse (with perhaps 20,000 Fuchsia plants, plus others...). The place is a mess, but that's normal - there are 10-15 cars and vans in various states of disrepair, crates of plant pots, scaffolding planks, a 2,500 litre water tank and a ginormous wood burner that will eventually heat the large greenhouse (for there are other greenhouses, too!).

On Thursday I helped with potting up plugs into pots... a little bit. And today I wielded a mattock, helping my dad's partner put in a path to the greenhouse for when "Lincolnshire Fuchsia World" opens to the public (in a few weeks, I think).

Well, it's good experience for me. The most striking things for me were:

1. How soft my hands are. Moving large concrete paving slabs for the path has left my fingers scraped and scratched. It'll be interesting to see what they are like in 6 months!

2. Mypex is horrible stuff. The strands get everywhere!

3. I must not take on too much at once, or accumulate junk. Neat, tidy, sufficient. No overpromising, no "oh sure if it's free and I'll figure out a use for it later".

4. A hot cup of tea is so much better after some hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment