Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Vegetarianism

I've been a veggie for a long time now, since about 2001. I think it's time to shift my self-definition, perhaps stop grouping myself at all (though it's useful in some situations, I suppose).

What has changed? It depends on which way you look at it. But the crux of the matter is this: today I bought a can of sardines.

I plan on eating them later.

Why? Sardines are listed as one of the most sustainable fish: going by this link, I will most likely not be affecting biodiversity, the environment and so on by eating the occasional sardine. One person eating less or no beef will itself not make much impact, but the total impact of current beef production is huge. As shown in Food, Inc., much food in supermarkets will have been raised or grown "unnaturally" or unsustainably in one way or another - be it antibiotics, perpetual light or darkness (to encourage more eating and faster growth), being fed on crops not eaten by that animal in nature, herbicides and pesticides, patenting of seeds.. the list goes on.

So. I feel I can, in good conscience, eat the occasional sardine, thus improving my health. I will be buying organic veg from farmers markets (and growing my own, as much as I can, when the growing season begins). But perhaps I will also be eating road kill once in a while.

It's a minefield. I wish to make a positive impact on the planet - for the world to end up better after my life than it would have been had I never lived. If I was to live on a normal, western, supermarket diet I feel this would be impossible.

Of course, if every vegetarian in the world suddenly started eating a can or two of sardines a day, I'd probably have to change my tune - the problem is when everyone does the same thing at once, leading to booms and busts, the collapse of fish stocks, the dustbowl, the housing bubble... well, you get the idea.

So.. anyone for pilchards on toast?

No comments:

Post a Comment