Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Joy of a Warm House

Here in Sweden I'm staying in an apartment; two bedrooms, kitchen, lounge. The place is always warm - you can't turn the heating off, just down. It's always warm - such a difference compared to the house I was living in in Ireland.

I think I may have mentioned it before, but they have municipal composting (not as good as composting your own, but then this is an apartment - there is nowhere for a compost heap), good recycling so little goes to landfill.

It's snowy outside. I live about 20 minutes walk from town, and maybe 10 from the supermarket. There is an eco-farm a half-hour bus ride away, but this costs about £4 for a return trip which is a shame. Many of the students here help out there, planting and harvesting, and I might be involved with some things going on there in the following weeks...

And the internet. Oh, man the internet is good here. Like, fast.

If I wanted to live in a town, this one would be a pretty good choice - amenities close by, good community, eco projects happening. I bought what seems at the moment to be the perfect desk at a charity shop yesterday for... 30 Krona. Which is £2.57. Amazing. And a nice hat, to replace the one I lost on my trip over here, for 10 Krona - 86p.

Wow.

So now I'm cooking up some beans for tea, in the lovely warm, doing a bit of knitting, a bit of reading.

Mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment