Thursday, September 17, 2009

Organics and Food Production - Day 3

Wow. Yesterday was fantastic. We have Paul for a double module, Organics and Food Production, and over the course we'll be learning 10 basic food growing skills (how to sow seeds correctly - which is what we did in the afternoon, making a compost heap, erecting a cloche, and so on).

As well, we'll be doing our main project on a vegetable - pick a vegetable and do a project on it! Grow it, experiment with it, love it.. eat it! I'm so tempted by the squashes, but we wouldn't get to eat them by the end of the course next May, so I'm thinking of radishes or something.

Paul is an engaging, experienced gardener. I got to sow mizuna seeds, which is what I really wanted - to actually get my hands dirty doing something.

The class was also split into 4 families - Brassicas (which included me), Legumes, Alliums (Onions, etc), and Root Veg. Someone from each group will have to do a presentation on one of the members of each family. Sounds fun! Lots of researching to do!

It was the first day with him, so we didn't do a great deal and there was a lot of chat, but the course will be incredibly fulfilling, I'm sure.

In the evening I ordered some seeds, then went along to the Transition Town Kinsale Autumn Food Fest planning meeting - I'll help out either making bread from freshly milled grain, or washing up. Or, most likely, both. There will also be a fancy dress as vegetable competition, a beekeeper (yes!), jam-and-chutney swapping, prizes for the best and ugliest carved pumpkin...

It's all so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment