Thursday, September 3, 2009

All at Sea Part II: The Return

What a hectic couple of days! I'm sat on the slow ferry back to the UK, and they have free satellite-based internet, which is rather cool.

On Tuesday, after a slow weekend, I met Josh and Kath, two housemates-to-be. They met up in Dublin and travelled down to Kinsale together, so they have a bit of a headstart on their friendship, but we all seem to be getting along pretty well - lots of common thoughts and ideals, which is nice, and what I'd hoped for.

After viewing 3 houses on Tuesday, we decided to rent a 3-bedroom place in the town, less than 10 minutes walk from college, which is only a few years old - hence cozy and not damp like many of the older houses in town are supposed to be... So yesterday we took the car and bulk bought staples for at least the first few months of college - pasta, rice, baked beans - feels like being back at University, which is great!

Yesterday evening I took all the food plus my stuff round to the house, and met Noel the landlord. I don't think he was too impressed with my attempts to haggle with him... oh well. I thought the Irish loved to bargain, but apparently not - not this Irishman at least!

It was very nice to put my posessions into a room where they can actually stay for a while (well, til May, anyway). I've got the smallest room but it's plenty big enough - for me, a small desk, and a chest of drawers. It'll be comfy and warm!

We're not actually moving in properly until Sunday evening. Well, Josh and Kath are - I've decided on a quick trip to Sweden to spend some time with my beloved. This whole long distance relationship thing is actually even more "ugh" than I'd thought it would be.

Huge thanks to Mick for putting me up for almost a week! I left the Pink Elephant this morning at 4am to get to Rosslare in time for the ferry. I'll miss Badu, his lovely friendly (cushion-humping) dog.. oh and the view out over the harbour!

So here is where the "Reduce" truly begins, I guess. Over the last couple of days I've been thinking hard about what is truly important to me, trying to meditate and spend time on "inner work". I think we as a house will do a group meditation in the mornings, which will be fantastic for me.

As an aside, I got a link to the 10:10 campaign. I'd love it for people to sign up - and really try and think of ways they can cut down on the stuff that really doesn't make a positive impact in their lives. Hey, try an organic home delivery box scheme - so much fun getting veggies that you have no idea what they are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment