Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cold

Luckily, we're not one of the unfortunates in Toronto with no power. No. While we've had plenty of snow, we still have electricity and gas, so we're warm and snug inside.

Today is beautiful actually - the first bright, blue sky day we've had for (what feels like) ages. It's -22 degrees C outside, though.

Minus.

Twenty Two.

Compared to, say, Leighton Buzzard? Plus 7. Edinburgh? Plus 4. Well.

So in an attempt to be a little more weather proof should the gas *or* electric go out, I just bought a Mr Buddy Heater on sale. I've read good reviews about them in the past - should I manage to live in a van some day, or a cabin in the mountains, this will come in very handy then, too.

But for the time being, having a source of heat that is not dependent on electricity is a Good Thing (we have a couple of electric heaters - for if the gas is off, but mostly we use them as a boost for our bedroom which seems not to get much of the forced air forced into it!)

For the last couple of days, I've been fixated on videos of tiny cabin living - for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQyOcv9dJ2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKfioojESyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_oeUqa_jg

How much space do I need? Well.. it's not that simple - we have *loads* of space in our house but it is inefficient (our main room is maybe 18 ft square!). I have the strongest urge to just throw it all away (Playstation 2, Dreamcast, computer, desk, books - especially the IT ones, TV/monitor), buy an RV, rent the house and JUST GO!

South, ideally!

Sadly I send my passport in to the US government in order to get some paperwork done.. so I can't go anywhere even remotely warm at the moment, even if I (really) wanted to. I mean.. I do want to. It's just not practical.

Thankfully, it's warm in here. And I have some stuff growing - a pepper plant is starting to fruit (!), I have some salad mix on the go, and a saved avocado seed has split and the stem is showing. Pretty cool!

Happy solstice (bit late but never mind, eh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment