Saturday, August 17, 2013

Surgery - Squash Vine Borers

I overplanted one bed - courgette plants plus squash plants plus cucumber plants. They get big!

Anyway, in addition to cucumber beetles and squash bugs, it turns out I also have Squash Vine Borers.

It's probably too late for the plants I have. They have already mostly wilted and died back - I have pulled a few out already.

But for the two left, I performed surgery. Have a look at this video:


My plants do NOT look as healthy as his, sadly. What I have done is cover parts of the remaining vines with soil in an attempt to get the plant to produce more roots. I pulled 4-5 borers out, though not all in one spot like in this vid.

Fairly disgusting!

Hopefully we'll get a couple more squash, but if not... it'll just be one small one that I harvested a while ago from a dying plant.

I'll know better what to look for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment