Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Impatient Bread

This is my recipe for bread when I'm hungry:

500g flour
300ml water - warm, not boiling
tbsp. olive oil
tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

Flour + yeast + salt + sugar into mixing bowl; combine. Add olive oil. Make a well in the center and pour in the water. I tend to use the handle of a wooden spoon to stir it all together at this point, else one of my hands ends up coated in dough.

Anyway, when you've mixed it all together pretty well, into one mass at least, turn it out and knead, adding a little flour where necessary. Cut the dough ball in half, and roll each half out into a baking-tray long sausage; put on a lightly oiled baking tray and cover with a tea towel.

Leave in the sun for ~50 minutes; turn on the oven, set to about 200 degrees C; when it gets to temperature, shove in the baking tray and wait for about 35 minutes, possibly a little less (the thinner the bread the quicker it'll cook!).

It won't be the best bread ever - to be really good, it should rise - get knocked back - rise again. I think I used not enough yeast today so it didn't rise much at all. But - I was impatient, and when it came out I made a little baguette sandwich which hit the spot!

Om, nom, nom as they say.

Now I'm boiling beetroot that I'm going to pickle!

No comments:

Post a Comment