Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer!

Cripes, the first of May was the last time? Oh dear.

Well, it was a wet, dreary spring here. But, at last, it has gone - summer has come, and we're in fully bloom.

The garden is currently just about under control. I found a squash plant trying to climb a broccoli one day, and everything is a little close together (begginer's mistake!), but apart from that.. well, and one large tree making the 'back garden' a bit too shady for anything other than nasturtiums - it's all good.

So far, we've had:

Radishes
Spinach
Parsley
Chives
Courgettes (baby ones!)
Beetroot (we've eaten beet greens; there are a few roots in the fridge now)
Lettuce
Peas (mangetout, or snap peas, I think they are the same)

Plus a couple of raspberries from plants I bought and planted.

To come:

Dill
Sage
Rosemary
Tomatoes
Squash
Cucumbers
Sweetcorn
Potatoes
Beans
Peppers - maybe
Nasturtium flowers/leaves in salad (actually we could have those now, but I prefer the flowers and they are so pretty I don't like picking them! D'oh!)

Our neighbour has an apple tree that comes over the fence; she told me that anything over my side is mine. I think it needs thinning (a lot) as apples have been dropping, unripe. So on Saturday I thinned my side, and collected the unripe apples.

Then on Sunday I made probably 500ml of apple juice, plus a tupperware of.. what was supposed to be apple butter, but is probably a bit watery and more like apple sauce.

I was worried about how much the reducing would cost, on the stove, but actually it doesn't seem too bad - 20c or so. Plus I baked bread for the first time in ages! Om nom nom.

At The Farm, things are less happy. Despite an electric fence, we have multiple incursions. Firstly and foremostly from wild turkeys, which can fly over the fence. Secondly, from groundhogs which I inadvertently trapped *inside* the fence when I did one large rectangle rather than two smaller ones (there is a central wild area between the two fields) - not that it seems to matter, because they go under the fence, too.

Thirdly there is grass. We had a broken rototiller plus a very wet spring on very clay soil, which meant.. we're behind (plus I spent a couple of weeks in France working). Weeds have taken over roughly half the fields entirely, and all of the walking rows, and are trying to take over the beds too.

We're persevering. Un/fortunately we were hoping to sell 20 shares, and have so far only managed 11 1/2. It's fortunate in that we wouldn't have had enough for the first two boxes if we'd sold all 20; it's unfortunate because it means there isn't actually enough money to pay us for the whole season. Tricky.

The larger stuff is coming. A few of the squash plants look sickly. I'm concerned the groundhogs will be at the courgettes soon.. in fact I might rig something over them tomorrow. But my partner in gardening rigged up a whole load of netting and wire over the vulnerable stuff (things that weren't already under row cover) on the weekend, so.. fingers crossed.

I'm (still) pining for a house on wheels. Freedom, life on the open road, etc. With a baby due at the end of November.. well, it could work. Next year, while my wife is still on maternity leave. We'll see.

Oh, and, I'm kinda-sorta FI/RE! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment