Monday, October 15, 2012

Reading list

I have been devouring blogs and books about living in camper vans and travelling around the 'States lately.

Highly recommended:

Blue Highways: William Least Heat-Moon (currently reading)

Travels with Charley: John Steinbeck

http://www.tosimplify.net/

http://livinginmycar.com/ (her story has finished but it's fascinating nonetheless!)

I'm currently debating whether I should buy a Ford Ranger or other pickup - for hauling manure, soil, pallets, etc; a Dodge Caravan or other mini-van for doing the same, but with a trailer, with extra flexibility; or a full sized van of some kind that I can still do the hauling with, but convert to a simple camper as well.

A 2.3l Ranger has awesome fuel efficiency - at less than 9l/100km - while the Caravan is not so good at about 12, and most big vans seem to get (gulp) 18.

No rush (I've been telling myself that for 2 years!) - every month without saves on insurance, maintenance, and so on.

Anyway - back to the Blue Highways.

No comments:

Post a Comment