Wednesday, August 25, 2010

City bliss?

I've been off the farm for 2 1/2 weeks now. Initially "condo-sitting" with no internet access, leading to many trips to Timothy's Coffee on Laurier Avenue East, but now in a house share - just me, my wife (oh yeah, I got married too..!), and a friend of my wife who owns the house.

I have luxury. I have a desk, and a chair, and the internet on tap. Water, as well, is on tap. As I don't have to go out so much, I don't have to see all the cars and trucks round town, but I get the benefit of nice roads to run or cycle on. We're not quite sure how long we'll be here, but hopefully I'll get some spinach growing soon. Kara can cycle to work. I can walk to the sandwich shop or cycle to the supermarket (but I *really* need to get to the market on Saturday, which is a little further away, I think).

We're broke, and paying a city-rate rental price is painful until we both have incomes, but... I can see why many many people think city living is more sustainable than rural. We could sell the car and be fine - car insurance is excruciatingly expensive here compared to the UK.

It's the end of August and the sun is still out for much of the time (except on our honeymoon weekend, when it rained constantly... but it's ok, that was only wedding 1 of 3, where wedding 3 is actually a honeymoon to the UK...).

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment