Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Biodynamics

I found this interesting reading, from my old Permaculture teacher in Ireland. I don't do with Graham to the limit of his beliefs, but I certainly like that he questions things that many eco folks accept apparently unquestioningly.

In many ways, it's a hard call. Many people "need" religion or structure or something in their life to make the infinity of the universe managable. And certainly, treating the land with respect is better than monoculture. Is it "wrong" to believe in something false if little or no harm comes of it?

When does that belief become a Holy War?

For me, the simple truth is that we are finite, limited - we cannot understand everything. We should be careful in what we do, what we change, what we espouse. We don't have the knowledge to know the outcomes of our actions. So perhaps our actions should be limited - do the necessary, and no more.

But where then is the meaning to our lives - to express, to make art, to grow?

It's a paradox. For me, it is simple - find small joys, and be humble. In that, it is not my right to "change society".

Will this lead to the end of life as we know it? Seeing that end in sight, should I try to avert it? Or just live each day in beauty and peace, enjoying life, light, the breeze?

If the fact is that, if everyone lived as I do, the environment would be in little or no danger, do I stay as I am and be content, or try and take a message "out there" - changing myself in the attempt to change the world?

Being aware of this question, I suspect the only true answer (for me) is the former - to accept, and be, rather than to rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment