Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tron and Avatar

This may be too large a leap.

But the parallels between Tron and Avatar - accepting 27 years of advancement - is incredible. Or, perhaps I should say that, when watching Tron for the first time last night, I was mostly reminded of Avatar.

Guy transported bodily into alien world that only he can help save from nasty people?

Mm, ok maybe it's a stretch. And Tron is clearly much more lighthearted - cinema is more advanced. Anyone seen a film lately that isn't full of controversy, heartache, and so on? I loved My Neighbor Totoro for just that reason.

At the end of Avatar, I left not knowing what I felt. There are all sorts of messages.

So, if you take Tron, add an enviro message and current thinking on what filmgoers want (ambiguity, complex messages), you get.. Avatar.

Well.. maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment