Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Field trips and frolics

On Monday we visited our teacher's permaculture plot (and home). We did a little work in the morning - weeding bamboo, amongst other things - and had a tour in the afternoon.

He has mini Hazel coppices, Sweet Chestnuts, Walnuts, plenty of fruit trees and bushes. He's been there about 8 years and thinks it'll be another 7 before he's got everything running in true forest garden fashion.

Interesting. About the same length of time as to start an ecovillage. Which is fun, seeing as I was hoping to be doing forest garden stuff for the 15 years BEFORE starting the ecovillage - but I'm not going to want to leave my plot just as it becomes fully productive!! I'll have to think about that one.

On Tuesday, we spent some time with the second year permies, and then did some theory on forest gardens. I feel the knowledge is settling in nicely, though I need to do more reading - funny as I've just realised how little I learn from reading, relative to doing. The great thing about this course is that we DO get to do.

And today, we had Paul for Organics/food growing - continuing discussion on mulching, a presentation by the Allium family, and sowing green manure!

After school we had a meeting about setting up student working groups. Nobody was really interested in the sustainability group, and the communications group only had a couple of people in, which was a bit disheartening - everyone was doing the fun stuff, entertainment and skill sharing. Well. No point worrying about it - it just means I'll have to slip sustainability into the other groups, become some kind of double agent with a hidden agenda!

Tomorrow is my day off - phew! Time to catch up on work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment