Sunday, June 28, 2009

Film reviews!

While I've been travelling, I've watched a grand total of four films.. one great, one ok, and two dire, so I thought I'd give you my thoughts on them.

The Great

Me And You And Everyone We Know (Amazon link)

I was in no way expecting this film to be so fantastic. It's just one of those films that comes out of the blue and is charming, funny, and not squirmy at all. Really can't recommend it enough.

The OK

Men's Group

Apparently not available on DVD in the UK yet, film's website is here. An Australian film about.. a men's support group. It's a fairly watchable film, but I lost my "sense of disbelief" a couple of times at critical moments, and it kinda knocked the film flat a little. It's filmed using consumer digital cameras and isn't scripted, so it's pretty interesting, but feels like something I've seen before - lots of fairly normal, grumpy men eventually reduced to tears. Worth seeing, I think, but not as great as I'd heard.

The Dire

Changeling (Amazon link)

Boring. Boring boring boring. It's a true story, and it's sad, but it just didn't connect emotionally with me. The LAPD was corrupt, and there was a nutter. Angelina Jolie is a Strong Woman. Yawn.

The thing for me is, I'd read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Amazon Link) recently, and I've seen L.A. Confidential (Amazon Link) and Changeling kinda feels like an amalgam of the two, but more miserable. In short, it just made me unhappy, and I found Angelina Jolie irritating.

Love in the Time of Cholera (Amazon Link)

Oh My. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy pines for girl his whole life but sleeps around a lot. Girl marries boring guy. Boring guy eventually dies, boy screws girl on a paddle steamer. This takes 2 1/4 hours to tell.

The End

(Get the first film, though, it's absolutely wonderful. "Back.. and forth" will stay with me for life :))

No comments:

Post a Comment