Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Things...

I really enjoyed reading about the '100 Thing Challenge' when that all kicked off (guy named dave). While staying at Tremblant, and over the last few weeks at 'the farm', I've realised I need far less.

How many things do you 'touch' a day? In my case, my pared-down kit is:

Clothes - hat (because bald), t-shirt, socks, pants, trousers, shoes. Depending on the weather, jumper, coat, scarf, gloves. One thing about the 'vandwelling' movement is that you go where the weather is (or where the weather isn't!). So I'd be targeting 21 degrees C.

What else? Well, sleeping bag. I've only been to places with beds lately, so a sleeping mat hasn't been necessary, but should probably be part of my kit. As should a proper pillow - currently I tend to use either a towel or just go without. I'm fine without, for a while, but sometimes...

Toothpaste, brush, general purpose soap/shower gel, towel.

Laptop, power supply, USB cable to charge phone, headphones.

Cup, spoon, knife (more a pruning knife than cutlery). Instant coffee (urgh). Powdered milk (actually pretty nice). Noodles, plus something to eat with them. Water bottle. Trangia alcohol stove plus some alcohol.

And.. yup that's pretty much it.

I'm thinking that I'll sell my car, as the plan is to take one of our two off the road for Kara's maternity leave. Depending on how much I want to go trekking in a minivan, I'll buy a minivan at the right time. Leave three seats in (benefit to having captain's chairs for the second row!), make a milk crate bed, and put my Things in.. and I'll be good to go!

Kara raised a good question: What to do with diapers/nappies when on the road. We're planning to have reusable ones, but without a washing machine? Hmm.

What am I missing? Well, a mini-fridge would help, plus a more sophisticated cooking setup. The trangia works well - but it chews through alcohol quite quickly, and is only a single burner.

You can fit quite a lot in the back of a minivan, though. And it's not like we'd - all three of us - be sleeping in it for extended trips, more one or two days between visits, or the occasional hotel.

Well.. that's what I'm mulling, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment