Friday, January 11, 2013

Reduce! Reduce Accumulate! Er what?

Assets, that is. Cash producing assets.

It has struck me that I'm going to be bored come March. Bored and, truthfully, not quite wealthy enough to have passive incomes > expenditures.

I could get another job in addition to the gardening/farming I'm going to be doing. I'm planning on buying a couple or three apple trees. And I really need to do something about those trees along the edge of our property that are taller than the phone cables.

I may/might/probably will get another job. I have too much time on my hands as it is (someone who reads this would disagree, but that's another story!). I quite fancy... bookkeeping. Don't laugh. It's a needed skill - small businesses rely on their friendly neighbourhood bookkeeper. I like numbers and spreadsheets.

But all that aside. It's snowy out. I'm looking... south, for inspiration.

Yes, far south, where it's almost.. desert like. A huge country, currently suffering a real estate crunch, where decent family homes can be picked up for a third of the price of one here, a fifth the price of one "back home".

Not luxury, not a mansion, but a small, decent house.

I March I believe I will be taking the Crown Vic on the road to sunnier climes, looking for The One.

Actually it'll be the One number Three. The question is: Can I find a nice, solid, easily rentable "unit" that is at once both much nicer than the places I already own, and considerably cheaper?!

It'll give a purpose to my trip, anyway. There are lots of considerations (tax, management, currency issues), but probably nothing more significant than moving continent, which I have already done.

I will be able to apply for Canadian citizenship in just over a year, I think (crikey). And Canadians can visit the US for anything up to half the year.

It's only snowy here for (December, January, February, a bit of March, plus the occasional snowstorm in April) four months. That gives me a whole two months of leeway!

And if it goes well, I might buy more than one.

Next year's goal might be: Buy one property on every permanently inhabited continent!

No comments:

Post a Comment