Monday, May 3, 2010

Time for a change (again)

Tomorrow I start at the farm I'll be at all summer. The last couple of weeks have been great. I left Tony's place on Tuesday the 25th and went to Uxbridge, where I picked up a UHaul moving van.

Ohh that's an aside. Here, a truck could be a pickup truck/ute, a van; a trailer could be a trailer or a caravan (a caravan is a model of car). I'm sure there are more. A van usually means a people carrier.

Ahem. So I drove the van to Barrie and swapped my UK driving license for an Ontario one, then drove on to my father-in-law's house, who is moving and gave us a load of stuff. So we loaded up, did some admin and took the second free car I'd been offered down to get some papers checked out... then it turns out the car would cost thousands to get through its safety check. Argh.

Anyway, onwards - I decided to drive on up to Ottawa the same day. The vans are all petrol rather than diesel, and really nice to drive actually.

Since getting to my mother-in-law's house I have seen a couple of cars, a couple of houses, and now I'm staying at my sister-in-law's with her two young children which is great fun! Ohh man, and with fast internet!

Well, I guess this isn't so interesting. There are lots of 100-ish acre farms for $230,000 or so nearish to Ottawa, where we could do "anything" - farm, start an ecovillage or retreat center or workshop space or permaculture heaven. The possibilities are almost too great, but learning this summer should focus my thoughts, and local government restrictions should help (!) too!

Tomorrow should be fun - seeing where I'll be living and what I'll be working with. Hard work, but true. It'll be winter before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment